Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Space Shuttle Flyover

You know sometimes that things capture your imagination when you are a child?  Well, as a child in Ohio, I can remember watching the Space Shuttle takeoff and dream what it might be like to go to space.  Is this not something that children dream of?

Today, I stood with my child at the edge of Clear Lake.  You see, we live down the street from Johnson Space Center in Texas.  We had been waiting since 9 am or so to hope to get to see the flyover.  We saw it from a distance and I went back into the apartment happy.  It was really neat to have seen it.  Even at a distance.  Then I heard a jet very loud.  It seems that the plane/Shuttle had made a bank turn and was coming back over.  So I grabbed my daughter and ran back outside.  We crossed the apartment parking lot and stood by the water.  It made another turn and ended up coming right over Clear Lake.  I stood shaking like a little kid as it went RIGHT OVER MY HEAD!!!!  I was watching the Shuttle pass over my head.  I was almost giddy.  I had tears in my eyes.  It was almost surreal.  I got on the phone and told my Mom that I was watching it go over my head.  She was laughing at me.  Then I called my hubby and was so excited that he was laughing at me too.  For a moment, I was a kid.  My daughter was yelling at me about it being so cool.  As a walked back to my apartment, I had to laugh at myself a bit.  I was as giddy as a schoolgirl.  What a wonderful gift and memory this has been.

I wasn't really happy with my move from Ohio to Texas.  I really miss my old life and my old house.  But this day reminds me to give new things a chance.  I would never have had this back in Ohio.  A small piece of a child's dream almost close enough to touch.

God Bless and have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. I have missed you, good to hear from you and read of your adventure. God will often give us such things to bless us and I am sure God was laughing with your mother and husband at the joy in your heart. As a little child, by faith of a little child we please Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah sweetie, that must have been amazing! Moving is so hard! I am glad this brought you some joy!

    ReplyDelete