Friday, June 22, 2012

Hopped on the homemade laundry soap bandwagon!!

Ok.  I finally broke down and made my own laundry soap.  I was surprized how easy it was.  This is the recipe that I used.

1 box Zote flakes  (17.6 oz)  It said it was equal to two bars
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

I just mixed it all in a bucket.  I used a 1/4 cup for a load along with a scoop of Sun Oxy and my Downy Ball with vinegar in it. 

They were nice and clean and soft.

The next time I will:

Grate my own bars to get a finer powder or put the flakes in a processor.  I found a flake or two in my towels.  I mixed it with some hot water for the second load and it worked fine.

I ordered some EO to scent the vinegar.  The clothes didn't really have a smell.  Kind of like drying outside.  Fresh.


I put the bucket in the bathroom under the sink.  That way it is out of the way and I don't have to worry about the dog getting into it. 


Have you tried it?  What do you think?  What do you use different?

Have a wonderful day.

4 comments:

  1. Tried it for the first time last week - and I love it! Grated my own bar of soap into the 2 cups of each, it was an inexpensive lime-scented soap (Lucky - 2 pack, cocoa butter + lime - 2 bars for $1) and it made the laundry smell fantastic - kind of like "Gain", but subtler. What I loved was how even after forgetting the clothes in the washer (whoops!), they didn't smell musty AT ALL! Never had that happen with regular detergent. I'm definitely using it from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make a new batchI need to order fels naptha :-) So I thought I would try your recipe first!!! Thanks for sharing, Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard of the Gothard Sisters? They are coming to our local Celtic Festival in Aug. Can't wait to see them in person. Here is a video if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVg8ED7aFT8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I've tried it and I still use it. Still have a few bars of Zote that you sent me, too :)

    ReplyDelete