Thursday, November 11, 2010

Things here have been crazy.

Sorry I haven't been posting.  Things at school haven't been going well.  I am not going to get into it all here.  But I withdrew Bri from school yesterday.  So I will be homeschooling.  At least until Fall.  I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.  But that is ok.  I am going to do Kindergarden here with her.  I am getting the rest of her books and things at school on Monday morning.  I spent 250.00 on her school books this year and I am not letting them go to waste.  They are Abeka.  So I can do the rest of this year.

Please pray for me.  I had been tossing the idea of homeschooling around when we first moved here to Texas.  I have been praying about our family and getting closer.  So I know that God's hand is in this.  Sometimes he answers prayers so quickly.  LOL

I am open to ideas and help.  Please don't hesitate to email me at:
amymorgan1970@aol.com    I am looking for a homeschool group that is close to me and I am looking for others that homeschool an only child.

Being close to Houston, I have lots of field trip ideas.  We are talking about going to the Space Center.  (NASA)  It isn't 20 minutes away.  They have a Lego thing going.  I have even found a fencing class.  But I think it is too far away.  So I guess that it is going to open up the way I think.

I had been wondering about my choice to be a SAHM and a homemaker.  I guess this is my answer. 

God Bless and have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! You know I support you in this. I have homeschooled since the beginning and an only child. It can be done.

    Remember you don't have to mimic the public school system. Do set some plans to get certain things done each day but know it's okay if you have to change plans. You don't have to wake up at 7 and start at 8 or make her do school until 3. Just set some lessons out, pray, watch, and learn what works.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your homeschooling time, it is at once the hardest, yet the most wonderful thing you can do! I encourage you to relax in these first days, spend lots of time reading, reading, reading ... both for yourself and to your little one. She will learn so much just by having you read with her and exploring the world around you, and if she enjoys "bookwork" have at it. After 9 years of homeschooling, I have learned to relax and give the children plenty of time ... they are infinitely curious and desire to learn.
    Blessings,
    Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy....I'll be praying for God's leading in this decision :) :) I really admire you for doing this. Some of my friends homeschool their kids...so there are certainly plenty of really good resources out there. Have you found enough information for the time being or is ther e something you are still wondering about? I could ask around on my Facebook page and see what my SAHM friends recommend. Just let me know!!! Oh, did I tell you that I joined the Mary Jane's Farmgirl Sisterhood...I'm #2176 :) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying God will give you and your husband the wisdom and direction you need. Homeschooling is wonderful, especially if you can find support in a local group. That will help. While homeschooling isn't easy, it is extremely rewarding. Our family is definitely closer because of homeschooling. You will get the socialization question a lot. My standard response is "we believe in insulating, not isolating, and yes, there is a difference".

    May God bless you as you start this new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeschooling is not easy...that is true...but I want to encourage you and tell you that I wouldn't trade it for anything! I am so close to my children because of it. They are my best friends. And over the years I have learned so much...if I could give you advice it would be...especially in the young years...take it easy. Read to her often. My oldest daughter Joy did not really start reading until she was 7...now most people would call that failure. Today she reads on a college level at 14 and maxes out the reading tests she takes. What did I do? Read aloud to her many, many books. For phonics we did Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons...Math was Math U See. Those are basically the only two things I did in Kindergarten. Everything else was through experience and reading. We looked at flowers and animals for science and I read stories about science to her. For history, I read history books...I think you get the idea. Abeka is a wonderful program...but if along the way you feel it is overload...Bri will do fine with the very basics and just reading lots of good books. If there is anyway I can help you along the journey...please feel free to ask. God's blessings on you! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just stumbled on your blog. I withdrew our 11 year old 5th grade daughter from public school in March of 2010. It's been the very best thing we've ever done! She is an only child as well and she has really blossomed in being home. I make my own curriculum and that has been wonderful as well. Like you, we felt God calling us to homeschool. I'm going to follow your blog. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete